How does karting actually work? We have put together a few tips so that you can prepare for your first visit with us.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR KARTING
HOW DOES KARTING ACTUALLY WORK?
Would you like to visit us on the kart track for the first time and are unsure whether you can operate the kart correctly? You ask yourself: How does it even work? Basically, everything is not that difficult, but so that you can familiarize yourself a little, we have put together some tips for you.
- The function of the karts is the same on both the indoor and the outdoor track. On the one hand, the tracks differ in length and, on the other hand, the surfaces are slightly different. Of course, the weather conditions are also different on the outdoor track.
- After you have registered at the terminals in our foyer, go to the checkout counter and book a kart ride. You will receive a starting license on which both the run and the card number are noted.
- Now it goes to the briefing, which takes place by means of a video. The video starts over and over again, so you can just watch it again if you want to have something explained again. Our route staff will of course answer any further questions.
- Now you choose a suitable helmet under which a balaclava must be worn for reasons of hygiene. You can buy the balaclavas on site or, if you have one, use your own. You can of course also use a motorcycle helmet you have brought with you.
- After you have taken a seat in the kart assigned to you and all of your passengers are ready to go, the run starts and you drive out of the pit lane onto the track.
After all the preparations described above, we finally come to the essentials, the karts:
- Karts have no shock absorbers and no power steering. You will feel all driving characteristics pure. The steering is very direct and since the kart is relatively short compared to a car, every steering movement is implemented directly.
- There is only the gas pedal on the right and the brake on the left. First you have to get used to braking with your left foot. It is important that you do not apply the accelerator and brake at the same time. That doesn’t do the karts well, but also your lap times.
- The treadless tires (slicks) with which our karts are on the road need a little temperature to build up the necessary grip. It is therefore important to drive the first one or two laps more carefully, on the one hand to get to know the route, and on the other hand to warm up the tires. If the tires are warm and therefore soft, reach into the asphalt and keep the vehicle well on track – the tires have grip.
DRIVING PROPERLY INTO THE CORNERS
It is important to adjust the speed in front of the curve so that you accelerate at the apex of the curve in order to take the momentum with you on the straight. Do not step too hard on the brakes! There is a possibility of spinning if you brake too hard in the curve.
Attention! As already described above, it takes a little getting used to in order to brake with your left foot!
In the rental kart it is important to drive as smoothly as possible so that large differences in speed are avoided. This will give you good lap times. As everywhere in life, the following applies on the kart track: “No master has fallen from the sky yet.” So just dare to do it – you can do it! Ultimately, the exercise makes it – and it makes it even better to benefit from the know-how of a very well trained kart driver who is happy to pass on his knowledge to you at the RS kart school.
In our karting school you will learn the right karting in theory and practice from scratch in three modules. The timetable includes general rules, correct overtaking and valuable tips for determining the ideal line, braking and acceleration points. You will also find that if you psst … listen to the kart and the tires, it will take you all the way.
Here you can find out more about the RS Kart School.
We look forward to welcoming you to your first warm-up laps and will be happy to support you if you feel like reaching for the stars!